Week 3
"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."
-Ecclesiastes 4:12
You recently finished your third week of marriage. Crazy, huh? Three is a number with all kinds of importance. Three strikes, you're out. Three's Company. Three-pointers. Third time's a charm. And the list goes on.
The Bible is filled with all kinds of instances of the number three. But I won't go through a biblical study of a number. Something more relevant is the concept that you aren't alone in marriage...or at least you shouldn't be.
I loved that you included the verse above in your wedding ceremony! Joining a marriage together with God at the center will make the marriage that much better.
The Ecclesiastes verse is a simple, yet important spiritual truth. When two people come together in marriage and invite God into their relationship, the chances of having a lasting and healthy marriage increases. Love, kindness, respect, forgiveness, selflessness, reconciliation, etc. are all gifts from the Holy Spirit. Without those things, a couple is relying only on their human self to grow a marriage. And there isn't a great success rate for two people, all on their own, making this marriage thing last.
This invitation to God into the marriage is a decision that is made on a daily basis. I know I have to do that often. When I don't, my own sinful habits get in the way of what marriage is supposed to look like. So never forget that chord of three strands!
It is easy to fall in love
It takes work to plan a wedding
It takes a lifetime to build a marriage
It becomes a legacy when you build a family
No comments:
Post a Comment